After the Household Hazardous Sweeps (Phase 1) have been conducted, and before debris clean up starts (Phase 2), property owners or the property contractor should clearly and visibly mark the location of their septic systems or water well systems associated with their property including the following:
- Septic tanks
- Pump tanks
- Pretreatment units
- Electrical components
- Distribution boxes (if location is known)
- Both the existing primary leach field area and (if known) the expansion leach field areas.
- Any transmission lines from the septic tanks, pump tanks, pretreatment units to the leach field.
- The location of any water wells.
- The location of any water well lines from the water well to the buildings.
This process is a critical measure to help preserve the property’s septic system and to avoid costly replacements or repairs. Even the removal of small amounts of soil from leach fields can result in the area no longer being a feasible leach field. It is imperative that areas be marked and the location information be shared with the debris removal contractor.
If property owners do not know the location of their system, they can come into Permit Sonoma to look for property records. If there are no records available, customers can be provided with a list of certified contractors in the area who can identify the location of the properties septic system.