DATE OF ORDER: AUGUST 23, 2021
Please read this Order carefully. Violation of or failure to comply with this Order is a misdemeanor and may be punishable by fine, imprisonment, or both. (California Health and Safety Code § 120275, et seq.)
UNDER THE AUTHORITY OF CALIFORNIA HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE SECTIONS 101040, 101085, AND 120175, THE HEALTH OFFICER OF THE COUNTY OF SONOMA (“HEALTH OFFICER”) ORDERS:
- Effective Date and Time. This Order takes effect at 12:01 a.m. on September 24, 2021.
- Basis for Order. On August 11, 2021, the California Department of Public Health (“CDPH”) issued an order requiring all public and private schools serving students in transitional kindergarten through grade 12 to verify the COVID-19 vaccination status of all workers and to require unvaccinated or incompletely vaccinated workers to undergo diagnostic screening testing. The CDPH order gives public and private schools until October 15, 2021 to come into compliance. (https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/Order-of-the-State-Public-Health-Officer-Vaccine-Verification-for-Workers-in-Schools.aspx After consulting with local school and community leaders, I have determined that it is necessary and appropriate to require all schools subject to the CDPH order to come into compliance sooner for the safety of school staff, students and their close contacts. Schools in Sonoma County have reopened for in-person instruction. Since July 20, 2021, there have been 38 cases of COVID-19 among 32 students and 6 staff, all of whom were present on a school campus while infectious. These cases stemmed from 16 elementary schools and 8 high schools, and at least 4 of the cases became infected through contact with positive cases at school, meaning that on-site transmission is occurring.
- All public and private schools serving students in transitional kindergarten through grade 12 shall comply with CDPH’s Vaccine Verification for Workers in Schools (issued August 11, 2021) by the Effective Date and Time of this Order.
- Obligation to Follow Stricter Requirements of Orders. This Order is more restrictive than CDPH’s Vaccine Verification for Workers in Schools issued August 11, 2021 because of the accelerated effective date; therefore, this Order controls to the extent that there is any conflict between this Order and the CDPH order.
- Copies; Contact Information. Copies of the Order shall promptly be made available (1) at the County Administration Center at 575 Administration Drive in Santa Rosa (2) by posting on the County’s website and (3) to any member of the public requesting a copy.
IT IS SO ORDERED:
Dr. Sundari R. Mase, MD MPH
Health Officer of the County of Sonoma