The Sonoma County Office of Education (SCOE) provides academic support for over 71,000 students in 40 school districts. Are you looking for specific district-related information? Find your school district here.
2020-2021 School Updates and Resources
Decrease Risk & Increase Learning
Sonoma County cares. To protect our students and community, all K-12 school districts in Sonoma County have suspended in-person classes as part of the ongoing effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
What can families expect for the 2020-2021 school year?
To live our #SonomaStrong values, the County of Sonoma, the Sonoma County Office of Education (SCOE), and local schools will continue to work together with families to provide Sonoma County students with the best opportunities and resources for their education.
Sonoma County Office of Education (SCOE) has guidance for schools and families on the SCOE website. The resources include a parent guide, Roadmap to a Safe Reopening (PDF) and a Frequently Asked Questions page (PDF) to provide information and support.
Additional school-related information that may be needed during COVID-19 include resources for parents, access to the internet and technical help for distance learning, academic tutoring, school meals, tips for helping your students cope during crisis, and more.
Is there a statewide standard for reopening schools?
Yes. The requirements for reopening Sonoma County schools are outlined in the state’s new “Blueprint for a Safer Economy” guidelines. On August 28th, Governor Newsom introduced the Blueprint for a Safer Economy, a new four-tier structure for reducing the spread of COVID-19. Every county in California is assigned to a tier based on its rate of new cases and positivity. Find out Sonoma County’s current tier status.
Listen to a July 22 community briefing on school reopening with Sonoma County Health Officer, Dr. Sundari Mase M.D., and Dr. Steven D. Herrington, Ph.D. County Superintendent from Sonoma County Office of Education.
Education Resources during COVID-19
Resources for Students and Families
- Sonoma County Parent Support Webinar on Distance Learning
- Sonoma County Schools Distance Learning Center
- Lunch Programs
- Talking With Children: Tips for Caregivers, Parents, and Teachers During Infectious Disease Outbreaks
- Parenting Resource List
Resources for Schools
The Sonoma County Office of Education has important health and safety resources and guidance related to Coronavirus on their website.
Guidance/Forms from SCOE and County of Sonoma
Waiver Request Guidance
Please note: Forms and questions should be submitted directly to the Sonoma County Department of Health Services at email@example.com.
- Waiver Request Procedure
- Waiver Request Form
- September 14 memo announcing that waivers are now being considered
- Elementary School Waivers Approved by the State
School Reopening Guidance
- View the Sonoma County reopening guide for schools, Roadmap to a Safe Reopening
- Workplace COVID-19 Exposure Guidelines for Employers
- COVID-19 Case – Notification Flowchart
- SCOE/County Health Joint Update on School Reopening Guidelines
- Infographic: School Reopening Options
COVID-19 County Resources
- View health orders and guidance from Sonoma County at Socoemergency.org
- January 2020: Joint Guidance from Public Health Officer and SCOE to school districts
- County’s data dashboard
- COVID-19 Industry Guidance: Schools and School-Based Programs: Youth Sports (PDF)
- Youth Sports FAQ
- Introduction to the CIF Guidelines for Return to Physical Activity/Training (PDF)
Local higher education institutions have adjusted their programming. Visit their websites for up to date information.