As recovery efforts are underway after the Kincade Fire, the County of Sonoma is committed to instituting a streamlined and expedited approach for permitting so our community can recover and rebuild as quickly as possible.
For a step-by-step process and rebuilding resources, visit https://sonomacounty.ca.gov/Rebuild/Permits/Rebuilding-Process/.
Housing for those Displaced by the Kincade Fire
The Sonoma County Board of Supervisors adopted an Urgency Ordinance to address the immediate need for housing for those displaced by the Kincade fire.
- Permitted use of recreational vehicles (defined to include motor homes, travel trailers, truck campers, camping trailers, and similar vehicles as temporary emergency housing in residential and agricultural zoning districts outside the coastal zone, subject to specified standards.
- Year-round occupancy of RVs, tent camps and campgrounds in K zoning districts, subject to specified standards and with a zoning permit.
- Temporary use permits for RV groups — Allowing groupings of RVs and manufactured homes as temporary emergency housing in Public Facilities, M1, M2, and MP zoning districts outside the coastal zone, subject to temporary use permit.
- Removal of seasonal restrictions from farmworker housing.
- Allowing existing guest houses, pool houses, and other habitable residential accessory structures, as well as marketing accommodations, farmstays, bed and breakfast inns, resorts, retreats, camps and similar uses, to be used as temporary housing.
- Allowing temporary housing use and rental of existing dwellings and RVs on agricultural lots, subject to specified limitations.
- Prohibiting establishment of new vacation rentals within the Kincade Fire burn area.
- Waiving permitting fees for accessory dwelling units constructed along with a reconstructed primary dwelling within the Kincade Fire burn area.
Staff will return to the Board at a later date with proposed amendments to Chapter 40A to address additional immediate, interim, and long-term needs stemming from the Kincade Fire.
To find more information, please see the agenda item for the Board of Supervisors Meeting on November 5, 2019.