There are numerous resources available for those seeking assistance financially during COVID-19. The resources are regularly changing. Below are contacts to get updates on the availability of resources.
Financial Assistance for Households
Paying Utility Bills
- Salvation Army – 93 Stony Circle, Santa Rosa, (707) 542-0981
- Help to pay water, electric and other utility bills.
- Afternoons, Monday-Friday, by appointment only.
On March 24, 2020, the Board of Supervisors took action to approve the COVID-19 Eviction Defense Ordinance, effective immediately and for the duration of the declared Local Emergency in Sonoma County.
Renters & Homeowners
There are local resources for both renters and homeowners available in Sonoma County.
- To learn more about these resources visit Housing & Renter Support »
Borrowers who need immediate relief may apply for a forbearance, which suspends payments for a period of time.
- Contact your loan processor for more information.
General Tax Information
Federal Income taxes:
- Individuals may defer up to $1 million of federal income tax payments for tax year 2019 (including self-employment tax) due on April 15, 2020 until July 15, 2020, without penalties or interest. You can learn more on the US Internal Revenue Service Website.
- Information about federal Stimulus Checks and how to get your payment
State Income taxes:
- The California Franchise Tax Board earlier extended the April 15, 2020 deadline for making state income tax payments and estimated payments until June 15, 2020.
- Visit the State of CA website for more information.
- Property taxes were due April 10, 2020.
- If you have the capacity to pay please do. This revenue helps keep government agencies running and providing vital public services, especially in times like these.
- Essential Auditor-controller and Tax Collector Department (ACTTC) staff is still at work during the office closure to respond to emails and process payments.
- Due to public health concerns, please consider making payments online, by phone or by mail.
- Cash customers can obtain a cashier’s check or money order and mail payments.
- ACTTC has the authority to waive delinquent property tax penalties if late payment is due to circumstances beyond the tax payer’s control.
- The COVID-19 penalty waiver application is available to taxpayers on the ACTTC website.
Assistance with Tax prep and submission
- Community Action Partnership »
- United Way of the Wine Country »
- Agencies will contact those with a pending tax preparation adjustment to correct and submit.
- Other free tax filing options:
Financial Assistance Programs
- Redwood Credit Union – call (800) 479-7928, option 2
- Disaster-related loan program for current Redwood Credit Union members.